Thursday, March 09, 2006

Back from London

We have been back from London for over a week now and things are back to normal. We had a great time and enjoyed our break from Halifax and its weather. (It was spring in London, but its still winter here for the most part.) All of our pictures can be found in the our online gallery (see the link on the right hand side of the page).

Right after we got back from London I had my first moot court (fake court). It was kind of neat since we got to dress up and call our prof "my lord" as if he was the judge and call our fellow students "my learned friend". It was the first time in my life I was ever addressed as "counsel". The best part was that the name of the fake company I was representing in a contract dispute was "Fools R'Us". Great, my first client is Fools R'Us!

There's not much else going on here except the same old same old.

Today's Halifact: You may not be aware but the military presence in Atlantic Canada is huge. In the Halifax area alone we have the base for the East Coast Navy, which is much, much larger than the piddly little West Coast Navy in Esquimalt. There is also a major military airport in Dartmouth across the harbour (CFB Shearwater) along with lots of other smaller pockets of military land around. The CFB Gagetown, which I believe is the largest base in the country in is New Brunswick, outside of Fredericton. We drove through it this summer and it took a good 45 min to get across it. Seeing military personnel on the streets in Halifax is very common and there is even a guy in first year at law school who I assume is doing the program part time because he sometimes comes to school in uniform (full on fatigues!). Local real estate companies and airlines even have military personnel special rates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home